Can you give me a physician referral?
Yes, use our Physician Locator or just contact our office at (856) 672-1211. You can also go to the home page of the Medical Society of New Jersey: www.msnj.org and click on Find a Physician. There you will have access to all MSNJ physician members throughout New Jersey.

What if I am looking for a Physician but he does not practice in Camden County?
The Camden County Medical Society can only give referrals on Physicians members, most of whom practice or live in Camden County. You can contact the Medical Society of New Jersey at (800) 322-6765 or another county’s medical society. Below is a list of phone numbers to each county medical society:

Atlantic County Medical Society: (609) 926-3488
Burlington County Medical Society: (856) 231-1515
Cape May County Medical Society: (609) 926-3488
Cumberland County Medical Society: (856) 794-2209
Essex County Medical Society: (973) 239-9392
Gloucester County Medical Society: (856) 845-6161
Hudson County Medical Society: (201) 798-0600
Hunterdon County Medical Society: (908) 788-6367
Mercer County Medical Society: (609) 818-0900
Middlesex County Medical Society: (732) 257-6800
Monmouth-Ocean County Medical Society: (732) 905-5152
Morris County Medical Society: (973) 539-8888
Passaic County Medical Society: (973) 696-8822
Salem County Medical Society: (856) 769-0900
Somerset County Medical Society: (908) 507-5153
Sussex County Medical Society: (973) 539-8888
Union County Medical Society: (908) 789-8603
Warren County Medical Society: (908) 859-9494

Can my doctor tell me that he/she does not want to see me anymore as a patient?
As long as you are not being treated under circumstances where your life or health may be threatened or compromised unless timely medical care is given, the doctor may terminate the relationship. The doctor must notify the patient, in writing, that he/she will no longer provide care as of a certain date, which cannot be less than thirty days prior to the termination date. This letter must be sent by certified mail, return receipt requested. The doctor, however, is obligated to provide all necessary emergency care and services, including providing necessary prescriptions, until the date of termination. If requested by the patient, the doctor must make reasonable efforts to assist the patient in finding another provider and the transfer of the medical records.

How long must a doctor keep my medical records?
A doctor has to keep a patient’s medical records for seven years. After that, the physician can destroy them. There is no requirement in the law that requires the physician to notify a patient prior to destroying the records. It is recommended that you request a copy of your medical records when you are changing physicians.

Can a doctor charge me for my medical records?
The Doctor may charge the patient to copy the records, which cannot be greater than $1.00 per page or $100.00 for the entire record, whichever is less. If the record is less than 10 pages, the doctor may charge $10. A "service fee" may not be charged apart from these amounts. Charges for copies of x-rays and other documents which cannot be reproduced by ordinary photocopying machines are to be charged at the actual costs to reproduce them. 

The Doctor has 30 days after he/she receives a written request from the patient, another doctor, an attorney, insurance company, or another family member if the patient expressly authorizes it. If the patient had provided a set of records from the patient’s previous Doctor, the patient has a right to have these included as part of the entire medical record. Physicians may not refuse to release a copy of a patient’s medical record if they are needed for ongoing treatment if the patient owes money for the medical services the physician provided. The physician, however, can hold the record until the patient pays for the costs to reproduce the record, providing the record is not required for ongoing medical care.

Do I have a right to my medical records?
In most instances, the patient has a right to receive a copy of his or her medical records, not the original. Although most patients assume that the records belong to them, the NJ State Board of Medical Examiners requires that the physician maintain the original to ensure that the patient’s medical history is available to any subsequent treating physician or health care provider. Copies may be given to the patient, another doctor, your attorney, your insurance company or another family member if the patient expressly authorizes it. If a patient is deceased, the duly appointed executor or administrator of the estate may obtain copies also. Medical records cannot be released to a spouse, family member (except in the case of a child), attorney or any other person unless the patient gives his/her express consent to release them to that specific person.

Need more assistance?
Contact the Camden County Medical Society’s office at  (856) 672-1211.